Moving to Bowmanville, Orono or Newcastle ON?
Municipality of Clarington
The Municipality of Clarington includes the Towns of Bowmanville and Courtice, and the Villages of Newcastle, Orono, and Newtonville and covers an area of 611.10 square kilometres or 236 square miles (approximately). Bowmanville is 75 km from Toronto, and 15 km from Oshawa.
Clarington has an estimated current population of 84,548 (2011) with a Median Family Income (two parent family with children; 2 earners) of $94,466.
A variety of housing types are available in Clarington. Single family dwellings predominate. However, link homes, semi-detached and townhouses, rural, executive estate lots, condominiums and rental apartments are also available.
Schools and Colleges
Clarington has 19 Elementary and 3 Secondary Public Schools, 5 Elementary and 1 Secondary Separate Schools, and 1 Elementary and 1 Secondary Private School.
Nearby post-secondary education includes Durham College and UOIT within 20 minutes. As well as Sir Sandford Fleming and Trent University within 40 minutes. Click here to find out more about the nearby schools.
Clarington has easy access to a number of major highways, including Highway 401 along the Lakeshore, Hwy 115/35 heading north, and the planned eastern extension of Hwy 407.
GO Transit has a bus link in Bowmanville, Newcastle and Durham Region Transit has a number of bus routes servicing Clarington. The VIA Rail station is located in Oshawa. For more information, click here.
The municipality is served by Lakeridge Health Bowmanville, a 90-bed community hospital. There are a number of Family Physicians practicing in Bowmanville and Newcastle, as well as 2 Urgent Care clinics in Bowmanville.
Police and Fire Services
The Durham Regional Police Department serves the entire Municipality from the new East Division Office located on Hwy #2 just west of the Bowmanville urban centre.
Clarington’s Emergency and Fire Services provide high quality emergency response, fire prevention and education services across the Municipality. They are a composite fire department, made up of both full-time and volunteer or part-time firefighters. They have five fire stations located in Bowmanville, Courtice, Enniskillen, Newcastle and Orono. Their headquarters is located at 2430 Highway 2 in Bowmanville.
Recreational & Cultural Facilities
- 5 arenas (7 ice surfaces) – Garnet B. Rickard (2), South Courtice (2), Darlington Sports Centre, Newcastle Arena, and Orono
- 3 indoor swimming pools – Clarington Fitness Centre, Courtice Community Complex, and Newcastle & District Recreation Complex
- 1 outdoor swimming pools – Orono Park Pool
- An indoor soccer pitch
- An outdoor lacrosse bowl
- An extensive parks system – passive and active (diamonds, soccer pitches, picnic areas)
- 10 golf courses, 3 driving ranges
- 7 conservation areas
- Visual Arts Center of Clarington
- An Older Adult Centre
- 17 Community Centres
- Downhill and cross country skiing facilities
- Clarington Public Library – 4 branches (Bowmanville, Courtice, Newcastle Village and Orono)
- Clarington Museums & Archives (Bowmanville Museum and Clarke Museum & Archives)
- Marinas at Port Darlington and the Port of Newcastle
- Canadian Tire Mosport Park
Click here for more information.